Wireless and the BCM43xx driver

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Thu Apr 3 02:03:14 BST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 04:17:11 pm Bill wrote:
> Thanks Larry & Jon, For your responses.
>
> Larry, you are right about Hardy automatically deciding on the BCM43xx (air
> Force One).  I know I never installed this driver.
>
> I did use the ndiswrapper with bcmwml5.inf back with Gusty.
>
> But my Hardy readings say, (because of all the troubles) the powers that be
> had depreciated the bcm43xx & bcmwml5 for a b43 or b43legency solution.  I
> even read one solution that said to install both the b43 and the b43legency
> drivers and the OS would decide for itself which one to use.
>
> Anyway, I would really like to just remove the bcm43xx (air force one)
> stuff before adding the b43/b43legency solution.
>
> Curiously, when I tried; rmmod BCM43xx or rmmod BCM4318; The response is
> ERROR: Module BCM4318 does not exist in /proc/modules
>
> OK, so why is it showing with a 'lshw -class network' command?

Bill:

That commands polls the actual hardware plus the device drivers installed to
run it.  Here is mine, note last three lines where ndiswrapper is listed:

*-network:0
       product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci at 0000:06:02.0
       logical name: eth1
       version: 02
       serial: 00:14:a5:25:7d:6f
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5a
driverversion=1.45+Broadcom,12/22/2004, 3.100. ip=192.168.1.11 latency=64
link=yes module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

I do not have Hardy loaded yet, looks like folks have to reinvent the wheel to
get bcm4318 to work.  I did a quick search for this on forums and come up
with two threads it seems folks are pointing to....first two are solutions to
getting ndiswrapper to work, third is using fwcutter.  I can not vouch for
validity of solutions reported here, only offering them to help.

http://devangelist.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu-804-beta-hardy.html

Guess I have something to not look forward to (again) in a couple of weeks
when Hardy is officially released.  Hopefully some of these issues will be
resolved and solutions solidified by then.  I seconded a rquest to have
Compwiz (wicd creator) update the bcm4318 how-to for Hardy.  This forum
thread is typically very active and I would keep an eye on it as potentially
the best place for a stable solution as people sort out what works and what
doesn't:

Larry