installing tar.gz files

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:06:22 UTC 2008

2008/4/3, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:
> k h wrote:
>  > In fact, I don't even know how to get to Kompile.
>

> You should enable the universe repository, then you can install the
>  package kompile using your favourite package management tool.
>

>  Nils

To be able to compile programs you need at least install the package
build-essential.
>From a console write "sudo apt-get install build-essential" without
the quotes or you
can install with one of the GUI package manager.
Depending what sources you trying to compile you may need to install some extra
libraries and header files. The are usually named dev at the end of
the package name.

BTW there are a GUI tool for compiling sources: Kconfigure
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/kconfigure?content=17183
I have not tried it and it looks like it haven't been updated sens 2005.

As already written here the best way is to learn to use the command
line it's worth it.

Good luck

/ Jonas