Wireless and the BCM43xx driver

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Wed Apr 2 13:18:56 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 03:03:32 am Jon Aquilina wrote:
> im surpised hardy didnt automatically detect the restricted driver and
> asked u which ones to enable. for me it does on my old laptop even my
> restricted video card driver

Oh it recognizes the hardware properly, and as a result it does install the
appropriate BCM43xx reversed-engineered driver.  However, a large number of
people (me included) are unable to get the reverse-engineered driver to work
on BCM4318 Air Force One.  This isn't for lack of trying.  The post I linked
to has hundreds (possibly thousands) of people troubleshooting various
hardware configurations with this wifi card.  That is why we have opted for
ndiswrapper used in the how-to.

It is also known that ndiswrapper found in the hardy repositories is a version
to old for this wifi to work, hence the additional instructions to download
and install the latest version from the project homepage.

Uggh.  It doesn't seem as though Broadcomm is gonna release proprietary
drivers for Linux yet a while, so for those of us who do not wish to spend
time/money to switch hardware are stuck in the dark ages.....at least ATI is
improving.

Larry