Wireless and the BCM43xx driver

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Wed Apr 2 04:27:50 UTC 2008

<snip>

> product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
>
> vendor: Broadcom Corporation

<snip>

> But its BCM4318, under *-network UNCLAIMED that has me confused.

Bill:

BCM4318 Air Force One is one of the most notorious wifi cards for linux.  I
have one on my laptop, HP dv8000.  The first time I installed ubuntu (Dapper)
it took me days to get the wireless to work.  The later versions have cut
this down to about 30 minutes.   I guess major trailblazing is now
accomplished for this hardware.  Some have managed to get encryption to work,
others have not.  I also recommend using wicd network manager as it seems to
facilitate the BCM318 better than the default network manager that is
packaged with (k)ubuntu.

Here is the ubuntu forums how-to: it includes instructions for removing the
bcm driver reff'd in original email.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102&highlight=bcm4318

Hope this helps.

Larry