Wireless and the BCM43xx driver

Bill bmachia at wjm1a.com
Wed Apr 2 00:29:39 UTC 2008

I've been trying to work my way through wireless networking Hardy (beta),
and I think I'm getting closer to my problem, but need a little help on how
to remove a bcm43xx driver.

To begin;

After installing Hardy, like a lot of folks, I lost Wireless networking. In
my case eth1 disappeared completely under ifconfig.

Next, I found that 'lshw -class network' responded with;

*-network

product: 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 8

bus info: pci at 0000:02:08.0

logical name: eth0

version: 42

serial: 00:d0:59:d8:8e:21

size: 100MB/s

capacity: 100MB/s

width: 32 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd
100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation

configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100
driverversion=3.5.23-k4-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.2.10
latency=66 link=yes maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
port=MII speed=100MB/s

*-network UNCLAIMED

product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller

vendor: Broadcom Corporation

physical id: 1

bus info: pci at 0000:07:00.0

version: 02

width: 32 bits

clock: 33MHz

configuration: latency=0

I'm not concern with eth0, it's my wired connected that is allowing me to
send this message.

But its BCM4318, under *-network UNCLAIMED that has me confused.

I've removed it from ndiswrapper

I've even removed ndiswrapper with the Synaptic Package Manager

Ive added a blacklist line under /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and rebooted

It's still there....

My goal is to go wireless with b43-fwcutter. I just can't seem to get there
easily. Any thoughts?

I'm almost at the point of wiping the HD and starting with a clean install,
but I really feel that would be giving in and taking the easy way out.

Bill