2nd try. Use/Install problem

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at michaelzoet.de
Sat Sep 29 16:22:21 UTC 2007

> Now, I will stop wiseguy mode here. To advice on your problem, you can
> do the following:
> - get the alternative install cd
> - start your system, wait at the initial menu, make selections for
> language, and then select to install a base system (I don't know how it
> is called exactly in the menu)
> If things go ok so far, you should have a working system with network
> support and login shell, but with no X and no KDE. Log in.
> - do a "sudo aptitude update"
> - then "sudo aptitude install hwinfo mc"
> "Hwinfo" is a program that detects your hardware. "mc" ist the midnight
> commander. This provides excellent file browsing and an easy to use
> editor on a terminal.
> - run "sudo hwinfo --gfxcard", the output on one of the bottom lines
> tells you the name of the X driver module
> Now comes the installation of X and KDE:
> - run "sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop", this will probably take
> some time. After this is done you should be back on the commandline. Now
> configuring X. Important here: The actual driver name, the screen
> frequencies and possibly the bit-depth.
> - "sudo mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> -find a section called "Device", it should only be like 3 to 5 lines
> 	-if not already, replace the name in the quotes behind "Driver" with
> what you have found to be the driver name form running "hwinfo".
> - find a section called "Monitor", only a few lines long as well
> 	- check the horizontal and vertical frequencies and adapt them
> - find a section called "Screen", this section can be longer now
> 	- find the line which starts with "DefaultDepth", set the value to 16
> - pressing F10 ends mcedit, save the file. Reboot.
>
> That's what I would do, hope it helps. Mike

Really good explanation!

You do not have to use mc, but it is a good programm. Any other editor
will do (pico, nano, emacs, vi, ...).  I am an "old school" Unix boy and
use vi for deep down configuration editing ;-).

Another way to configure X11 would be:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

With this you do not must edit the xorg.conf directly, if you do not
like it.

I think there are a lot of other ways to do this, as it is Linux/Unix.

Good luck,

Michael