.deb Package

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Sat Sep 29 06:06:21 UTC 2007

Michael wrote:
> Darryl Tidd wrote:
>> I downloaded a .deb package today, and when I click on it, it opens in
>> Ark.  What program should I open it with?
>
> I tried using .deb files a long time ago but was to inexperienced to get
> any use out of them.  I got frustrated and chose to stick with the
> packages that are in the repositories.  You are a braver soul than I!

Ubuntu utilizes Debian (.deb) packages regardless of how you install
them. The packages that are in the repositories are Debian packages as
well...

> If I am not mistaken, you can still use GUI front ends like Adept or
> Synaptic to install the package.

Those only work for packages that are in repositories. They are front
ends for APT.

> The more experienced users on the
> list will probably be able to instruct you on how to install it with a
> CLI program such as Aptitude or dpkg.

You can also right-click on a package in Konqueror and there should be
an option to install the package from there (it's unique to Kubuntu).
I'm running Gutsy right now and I don't see it, but I know it's in
Feisty & Edgy.

Kubuntu doesn't include it by default, but KDE has a nice GUI for
package management called KPackage.  If you uninstall it you can use it
to easily install individual Debian packages.

		$ sudo apt-get install kpackage

Once you've installed it, you can right-click on a .deb package in
Konqueror and select "Open With ---> KPackage"

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com