.deb Package

Darryl Tidd darryl.tidd at daaokc.com
Fri Sep 28 18:22:08 UTC 2007

Ok, here are the results.  I was trying to use open office that came
packaged with Kubuntu, but when I tried to create forms with a wizard in
OOoBase, nothing would happen.  Someone else was having that problem and
stated that they uninstalled the included package and downloaded the
files from Openoffice.org.  So that is what I did.
The file came as a tar.gz to which I
tar xvzf [filename].tar.gz
This unpacked the files to a new directory.  When I went to this
directory, I found only .rpm files to which I
sudo alien -d *.rpm
Alien converted to .deb files all the files that were .rpm.  Then I was
left with a bunch of .deb files and couldn't figure out how to install
with a package manager (adept) so someone here told me to
dpkg -i [filename].deb
So taking that advise and running as a user I
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
This actually installed all of the files in that directory with the .deb
extension. Worked like a dream.