Upgrading my motherboard & processor

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Thu Sep 27 09:55:27 UTC 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007, Laurent Asorne wrote:
> Actually, my video card is an Riva TNT2 (think it has nvidia Gforce2
> chipset) running alright with the nv driver. So, I don't think there will
> be any difficulty from the video side, even if the chipset changes?

Nope.  It should boot right up then.  Now working and taking full advantage of
the new hardware, you'll have two more concerns.  First, I'm not sure if
stock K/Ubuntu kernels are compiled for SMP.  I think they are, but I'm not
sure.  You may need to swap in a new kernel to take advantage of both
processors, but this is fairly trivial.  The other thing is if you want to
switch to a 64-bit distro, it is, of course, a total distro changeover.  Your
existing 32-bit stuff will work fine, and whether you should even bother with
a 64-bit distro is a subject for a debate I won't rehash here.  It's been
argued to death, even right here.
--
D. Michael McIntyre