pppoe grinds to a halt

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun Sep 23 14:37:44 UTC 2007

Donn Ingle wrote the following on 23.09.2007 16:09
>>> I have no idea - the router is on the roof, connecting wirelessly to a
>>> base station far away.
>> now you have to explain that.
> Heh :)
> From my pov it's a white box on my roof with an ethernet cable coming
> down the wall and inside, into my eth2 port. I don't know what goes on
> inside that box. It connects to the ISP's network wirelessly in ways
> too arcane and voodoo for my simple mind to comprehend.
>
>> either you have a wlan router in your roof that´s connected to your ISP and
>> your computer does 'usually' dhcp
> That's it. I was given a static IP by chance when the ISP was here
> hacking it into shape. I use it when pppoe stops working, as I say,
> merely as a desperate attempt at "resetting" the networking on Kubuntu
> then pppoe goes *really* belly-up and starts giving me "pppoe no
> available protocol" (or something like that) messages. It has not
> worked. I still end up rebooting Kubuntu.
> This is a different problem to the grinding-halt one. I posted about
> it a bit earlier, but gmail messages are sometimes not being sent from
> kmail through the pop for some reason. (Unrelated to the mailing list
> "invisible OP" issues.)
>
>> I have used the following pppoe settings (translated to your setup) for years:
>>     iface eth2 inet manual
> This is different from mine. Is 'manual' the same as 'static' ?
>
> \d

I really wonder how you could get online all the time. !?

pppoe = Point-to-Point over Ethernet

Which means this communication must be 'terminated' somewhere *usually*
(which means it doesn´t apply to you ;-) ) one point is the BRAS and the
other the end customer equipment.

This 'end customer equipmen' can *EITHER* be a router doing pppoe externaly
(WAN) and dhcp internal (LAN) or *WITHOUT* these kind of router a computer
with pppoe configured.

In the first case you do not have to have anything special configured in your
computer (given dhcp is allways preconfigured) in the latter case you do not
configure your WAN interface with both (dhcp AND pppoe).

It is not possible to mix these two!

So please before (being even able) to proced with debugging provide a bit
more detailed information about your topology being used.

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09