pppoe grinds to a halt

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun Sep 23 13:53:26 UTC 2007

Donn Ingle wrote the following on 23.09.2007 15:10

<<-snip->>

>  > When you get disconnected, what´s the status of the DSL-Modem?
>> (Usually it has some LEDs to show it´s status - it´s manual should explain them)
> I have no idea - the router is on the roof, connecting wirelessly to a
> base station far away.

now you have to explain that.

either you have a wlan router in your roof that´s connected to your ISP and
your computer does 'usually' dhcp (via wireless) or that´s some kind of an
technic i haven´t heard of until now.

When you connect to that 'router' via 'normal' wireless (dhcp) then you
shouldn´t configure pppoe on your computer.

<<-snip custom /e/n/i->>

I have used the following pppoe settings (translated to your setup) for years:

<--------------------------------------
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback