KDE Panel error

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 21:35:45 UTC 2007

On Thursday 20 September 2007 14:09:25 Knapp wrote:
> I have my panel set to hide automatically and immediately. It is set
> so that the bar is in the middle with 100% length.
>
> Ever now and then I put the mouse to the bottom of the page and the
> bar does not come up as it should. I have learned that if I do alt-F1
> it comes up and then I can click configue. That comes up and I see
> that the bar is set to the right not the center. I put it back to the
> center and all is well.
>
> This error has been around for a long time, years, and on more than
> one of my computers. Does anyone else have this error? Do you know how
> to fix it?

Yes, I've been getting it on two computers. Happened on one again tonight so I
did what I ended up doing on the other one - turn it off and allow the
windows to cover the bar!! I was actually starting to wonder if it was just
me that was having problems with it.

> It is a pain in the butt but not fatal. On the other hand it took out
> my mothers computer for 2 months because the alt-f1 trick did not work
> and she could not fix it any other way. She had to reinstall the
> system. You can imagine how hard that was over the phone with a mother
> that does not like computers.

The other way is to do Alt-F2 type Kcontrol. Goto Desktop - Panels - Hiding
and deselect 'Hide Automatically'