VMware (Was Re: Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu)

Greg Booth bootgr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:54:22 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Marti Andrews <msmarti_a58 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> ________________________________
> > Once you get VMWare player installed you will then have to install Windows
> > using the VMWare player.
>
> Sorry to seem dumb, but it's not intuitive to me....I open it and it just
> gives me a choice of what to open, listing my folders and such. Do I insert
> Windows Vista in my drive and it will see it and then I install or what?
> Thanks much.
>
> Question...do any Gnome ppl hang out here or should I leave? No more Kubuntu
> for me. Ubuntu all the way baby!
>
> Marti

The VMWare player is a player only. You'll have to download VM's from
VMWare or off of Bit Torrent. To create your own Virtual Machines you
need either VMWare Server ( free ) or VMWare Workstation ( not free )
or the very expensive VMWare E server(?). Both of these are free/not
free as in beer, closed source and there's some controversy of whether
VMWare violates the GPL license of the Linux kernel. They both work
about the same but the paid version contains some nice stuff to share
the hosts hard drive. You can do it with the free versions but it's
much harder.

Greg