Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 20 02:53:16 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Greg Booth wrote:
>> In the middle-late 1950's, I saw the machine used to grade the Iowa Tests
>> then used in the school systems to evaluate kids, but I don't know if it
>> would actually qualify as a computer.  It used a modified Harris printing
>> press to present the test forms to the photocell array, and a 12,000 tube
>> (12AU7's IIRC) processor that may have been one of the first eniacs.  SUI
>> built the building it was in around it, probably the most air conditioned
>> building on campus in Iowa City at the time.  But I didn't work on it, not
>> having been infected with the digital virus yet.  The folks who were
>> afraid I was gonna put fingerprints on 'their' baby weren't aware of the
>> score I made on the test they were grading either. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Whoa, I live in North Liberty, just outside Iowa City. You still in
>corn land Gene ??

Nah, took the first wife and left to go make a million in CA in 59, had some
very interesting things happen there, but didn't settle in any one place west
of the river for more than 10 years, leaving the 1st wife under a slab in
Rapid City along the way, till a head hunter sent me to WV where WDTV needed
a Chief Engineer in '84.  That wasn't exactly what the 2nd missus wanted so
she split, I found an old maid music teacher & married her in 89, so I've
been a wannabe WV hillbilly for the last 23 years.  Since then, life has been
good.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)