Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

msmarti58 msmarti_a58 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:30:39 UTC 2007

>No Marti, some of us didn't. I've had in chronological order starting in
1978, a Quest Super Elf, a Timex 1000, a TI99/4a I still have, about a half
a dozen TRS-80 Color Computers that all run a mini-unix called OS-9, a
couple of full blown amiga's, and now on my 6th x86 home built box, and none
of them other than an HP lappy I bought with XP on it, has ever ran windows
cuz it has never been installed.  The lappy's total uptime under XP in
something over 2 years now is probably less than 12 hours total as it
currently can dual boot
F7 and XP.

May I pick your brain? I'm curious, when DOS came out, why didn't some of
you start out with DOS, and then gravitate toward Windows? Or why not Apple?
Were you all just tinkerers? Had you heard bad things about Microsoft? I
started out with an Apple Macintosh, because I was working in a place that
had them, and it made sense to have the same kind, so I could bring my work
home. Then, I had heard so much about Windows machines, that my next big
move was to Windows. I had heard of Linux, but had never seen any reason to
gravitate towards it. It sounded intimidating, with all the stuff you
supposedly had to type into a command window, myself being unused to that
manner of interacting with a computer.

>It's a chat program, I meant. 3D. Works fine here on GNOME. In KDE all
>the  graphics were messed up.

I use the various IRC programs, all of which work on the machine I might be
in front of ATM, but other than smiley translations, that is all text based.
It gets the job done, and its universal whereas a lot of the yahoo etc
offerings are both proprietary, and because they are non std, lock non users
out.
That's not how I play the game.

>The name '3D' still doesn't ring any bells, nothing remotely resembling
that shows up in the smart list, smart being the package manager I use here.
If I think of it, I'll check the listing adept gives me on the kubuntu box
tomorrow.

I think we are talking about two separate things. Go to
http://www.secondlife.com They have a Linux version. It's a graphical chat,
but much more. I wouldn't want to get you hooked, but once you go there, you
WILL be hooked, I think. It's like playing The Sims 2, in that you have an
avatar, but much better, and you can interact with people.

Marti