Problems with a live CD

Andrew Burgess ap_burgess at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 19 12:28:18 BST 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

Did you get all the way into a graphical desktop on the live CD that time?

No I didn't. In fact, the only way I can get it to boot at all (with CD or DVD) is pressing F6 at the boot options screen, adding "break=top" to the line that pops up, and them adding "modprobe piix" and then "exit" to the next screen it stops at. Otherwise, I'll get another error. I have no idea what this does, I just learned it here earlier this week.

Andrew Jarret wrote:

1. Wait for like 15 minutes (already suggested).  I think that if you
wait long enough it will probably give up and continue onwards to KDE.
2. Try to use switch between ttys with that keyboard shortcut (I think
it is Ctl + Alt + [F2-F4]) to see if you can get a login prompt.  This
probably won't work if Feisty gets stuck during the boot process.

I put it on to boot last night before going to bed; this morning it was a black screen. As soon as I finished this email, I'm going to try again and watch it the whole way through.

3.  I was going to say you could try removing the wireless card, but
this isn't feasible since you are using a laptop.  You might be able
to disable the wireless card from within the BIOS, but I am not sure
if this will affect Kubuntu's booting process.  While you're at it,
you could also try pressing the Disable/Enable Wireless button that I
am sure is somewhere on your Inspiron while it is booting (I don't
think it would do anything before Kubuntu starts to boot).

I tried turned the wireless card off when booting, but that didn't change anything.

Also, I made sure the drivers for my Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller were up to date; I assume that's the piece that's causing the problem. I could disable it from the Device Manager, but I don't want to hurt anything.

If it's almost impossible to fix a hardware problem, I might be better off using Gentoo . . . at least it loaded without any errors. I'm willing to try almost anything to get Kubuntu running, but I don't know what any of this means. (At least in windows, I can understand the error messages ;-)
Thanks,
Andrew