Problems with a live CD

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:58:34 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Andrew Burgess <ap_burgess at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Thanks for those instructions; I think I'm one step further now, but I've
> run into another error message. After I followed the directions you (Fredre)
> gave, it went through the loading process until I got a screen with the
> following message:
>
> [106.86000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available
> or load failed.
>
> It repeated this line 9 times over about 5 minutes, with a difference
> xxx.xxxxxx combination in the brackets at the front. By the last one, it
> sounded like the CD had stopped spinning, so I pressed my power button to
> reboot. When I did that, it went back to the "Kubuntu" screen, popped the CD
> out, and shut down. What do I do now?
>
> Thanks to all for their help!
>
> PS - I've said CD, but it's actually a DVD; does it make a difference?

I have received this error code when using Kubuntu Feisty 64-bit.
Don't recall the problem using 32-bit Feisty though.  The error is
definitely because of the Broadcom Wireless chip.  I don't know how
helpful this knowledge is if you can't get to a command line though.
Here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Wait for like 15 minutes (already suggested).  I think that if you
wait long enough it will probably give up and continue onwards to KDE.
2. Try to use switch between ttys with that keyboard shortcut (I think
it is Ctl + Alt + [F2-F4]) to see if you can get a login prompt.  This
probably won't work if Feisty gets stuck during the boot process.
3.  I was going to say you could try removing the wireless card, but
this isn't feasible since you are using a laptop.  You might be able
to disable the wireless card from within the BIOS, but I am not sure
if this will affect Kubuntu's booting process.  While you're at it,
you could also try pressing the Disable/Enable Wireless button that I
am sure is somewhere on your Inspiron while it is booting (I don't
think it would do anything before Kubuntu starts to boot).
4.  If all else fails, grab the sledgehammer.  Works for me.  On
second thought, you may want to hear what other people have to say
before trying this one...

Hope this helps,
Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2