Double mounting?

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at
Tue Sep 18 23:13:26 BST 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Stew Schneider wrote:
> I'm not real sure how that happened, but since no one but me can see
> that (the Linux box is headless, and I'm the only one who knows how to
> reach it), is there any harm in the double mounting?

Probably hotplug, udev or whatever picked up the drive and mounted it for you.

Double mounting is harmless in of itself, although it can lead to confusion,
and confusion can encourage stupidity.  I don't think I'd be especially
worried in the scenario you've outlined.  Just remember what's what, and
don't do anything stupid.
D. Michael McIntyre