Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Marti Andrews msmarti_a58 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:42:02 UTC 2007

> Marti sent me the contents of her fstab, and it looks completely messed up -
> everything outside the usual tree is mounted at /media (rather than a mount
> point within /media).  Frankly I think Gnome probably did that... (no, I
> don't, I really don't know what did, but that's at the heart of the
> problems).  I'll guarantee that one problem is that there's an entry there
> for /dev/sdc1 - which I suspect is the usb drive - and KDE is happier with
> removables not in fstab at all.

> I told her to post it here and we'd fix it.

Well I'm happy with GNOME now and it seems more stable, at least, on MY system. For the sake of others, here is my fstab in GNOME (my only gripe is if I reboot, I have to mount the internal hard disc again every time, but not the usb drive, it stays constant. Which was the opposite within KDE. I am clueless as to why. All I know is everything works seamlessly now. I dunno, is there a ghost in my machine? I have never understood computers, they never seem to work the same way twice. I just tinker until they DO work.

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=04588fe5-ec92-4eb8-80b6-d2b13d890c5a /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sdb5
UUID=b7c6a42e-47dd-48db-b504-4e74800d515b none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/scd1       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0