Samba Samba!

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:52:17 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Donn wrote:
>

>> My XP laptop has a workgroup (same thing?) called "HOME". I refer to that
>> in smb.conf. How do I get Kubuntu onto the same "workgroup"? Or is there
>> some better scheme?
>>

> Of course.  I think Andrew's hit on at least part of the problem - because
> everytime I use KDE to modify /etc/smb.conf, it loses my workgroup name.
> There's a comment that just says "Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain",
> but there's no "this".  I think it should be:
>
> workgroup = HOME
I'm pretty sure the workgroup is important. At least, I've never been
able to get Windows and Linux to play nice together unless it is
consistent. It's set in /etc/samba/smb.conf as:

workgroup = HOME

I don't know if case is important. Samba then has to be restarted (sudo
/etc/init.d/samba restart)

I have noticed that if I enter workgroup = WORKGROUP and restart samba,
my workgroup designation disappears. I don't have a clue why, but it
WOULD be nice if it didn't.

stew