Midi files

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Mon Sep 17 23:21:39 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Please check /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

> freepats.cfg.dpkg-new
> timidity.cfg.dpkg-new

My (born as Ubuntu Studio) box has these without the ".dpkg-new" extensions.
I'm not sure where that came from.  Broken package?  Some manual config step
you're supposed to do?

I have no idea, but I'd start by renaming those to freepats.cfg and
timidity.cfg and see if that did the trick.

Once you get TiMidity working, you can also start it as an ALSA synth client,
and then play it with Rosegarden.  If you want to twiddle the MIDI files, for
example.  Or you can use QSynth instead.  QSynth sounds better IMHO, but it's
more involved to get noise the first time.
--
D. Michael McIntyre