Cannot switch keyboard layout

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:02:12 UTC 2007

On 17/09/2007, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know you are correct in saying that she will not learn. It always
> blows be away, how inflexible people really are. I don't just mean
> with computers ether. Computers just showcase the trait well.
> I always switch keyboards with a mouse click on the bottom right. Can
> she learn this (this is not sarcasm!)?

I'll float the idea by her, but she really, really wants Alt-Shift to
switch layouts. This is a person who for the first month that she had
Firefox (on windows) could not start the browser, because the icon was
not blue. Switching Firefox to a blue icon with the letter E made
Firefox easy to use for her.

In any case, why can I not configure Alt+Shift to switch layouts? I've
tested this on two other Ubuntu machines running KDE, and on both of
them I could not configure Alt+Shift to switch layouts. Each machine
had different behavior (this machine shows Alt+Shift when pressed, but
as soon as the keys are released jumps back to the previous
configuration) but on none of them could I configure the shortcut.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.