Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Sep 15 21:12:56 UTC 2007

msmarti58 wrote:
> I am completely new to Linux, and following PC Magazine’s tips,
> installed Ubuntu with no problems. However, I was curious about Kubuntu,
> so I deleted Ubuntu and installed Kubuntu. Well once I did that I could
> not mount my other ntfs drives. With Ubuntu, they showed up
> automatically on my desktop. I just wondered what the difference is. I
> won’t be using Kubuntu, it’s too complicated for me. I am strictly a
> Windows user, for the most part. I don’t know how to do things in the
> command window or any of that.
>

> Thanks!

I've been a Linux user for a couple years. However I've only been using
Kubuntu for about a month. One of the main reasons I wouldn't use Ubuntu
before was the Gnome desktop. I can't tell anyone why I don't like it, I
just don't. I DO like Kubuntu and am very happy with it.

Marti,

I would suggest that you stick around the list here. Dual boot your
computer with Windows and (K)Ubuntu. [ Personally I would recommend
Kubuntu - but that's just my personal opinion ] Play with (K)Ubuntu
whenever you have a little extra time. Reading the list will give you
insights on how to do things and where things are located. In a short
time you will find that you do less and less in Windows. AND, most
importantly, ask questions.

Not everything has to be done with CLI. In fact I am NOT a CLI user. I
"can" if someone posts the command to use by "Copy" and "Paste" method.
I have found there is VERY little that you can't do with the graphical
interface.

If I could find replacements for a couple pieces of Windows software in
Linux I would probably never use Windows again.

--
(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh