Getting extra repositories for Kubuntu via CD

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Sep 15 12:45:08 UTC 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007, Knapp wrote:

> Second thought, can't you just put your friends HD in your computer?

That would be the easy way to go, if the hardware is similar enough that it
would drop right in and boot up.  Put his drive in your computer, download
via the package management system, and go on.  Problems with this include
what if the Windows box isn't 64-bit, and the inconvenience, and risk to the
hardware, if this has to be done more than once in a blue moon.

To leech packages with Windows and burn them to CDs, I'm not sure what the
best way would be, but I can tell you what *isn't* the best way.  Downloading
a bunch of .deb files and trying to dpkg -i them out of some directory
doesn't work well at all.  You'd want to do mirrors of the repositories
somehow or other, so you could produce CDs that could be used as apt sources
directly.

I'm not sure how I'd solve it.  I think I'd start with a Windows version of
wget (I think it's available as a standalone, or you can get it through
Cygwin) and try grabbing a copy of the entire repository like...

Well, nevermind.  I tried a handful, and none of them are set up to allow for
this.

Hrm.

I don't know what I'd do then.  A lot of tedious hand work I guess.

Running a Linux box without a live internet connection SUCKS.  You and your
friend have my sympathy, but apparently not my really good ideas.
--
D. Michael McIntyre