Graphics cards

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:40:34 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Cool idea, BUT, there has been some research (no, I cannot think of where I
> > > read it) that seemed to heavily suggest that a hard drive needs a
> > > relatively rigid securing method due to the rotational/centripetal (sp?)
> > > force inside the drive. Something about it needing a rigid mounting so that
> > > it can "stop" and "start" the needle/head in the correct place.
> >

> All I can say to that is that it has been going almost 24-7 for about
> 16 months with no problems yet. It has been rebooted about 70 times
> during this time.
>
> I will try and let you know should it fail.

I would think that this would increase the possibility of failure.  If
somehow something were to imbalance the drive's motion, it could begin
to oscillate quite violently.  Of course, it would probably end up
throwing the imbalance violently against the drive housing were it
anchored to the case.  I think in this case some rubber padding is a
good thing, but a total rubber band suspension system might not be
terribly good.

Just my $0.02.  I've been building PCs for a while, and have a fairly
good feel for 'em.  I wouldn't suspend it in the CD bay, but using the
rubber bands for some limited shock absorbtion in the normal HDD bays
sounds like a more sound idea, if only for fear of my kinetic runaway
theory becoming a known phenomena (I hope it doesn't, but just in
case...)