Virtualbox installation failure and consequent failure of Synaptic Package Manager

Henry Gladney hgladney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:18:33 UTC 2007

Operating system: Ubuntu 7.10 with all update patches until approx. 31st Aug
2007.

An attempt to install VirtualBox from the download page, using "VirtualBox
1.5.0 for Linux Hosts: Ubuntu 7.04 ("Feisty Fawn")
i386<http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/virtualbox_1.5.0-24069-1_Ubuntu_feisty_i386.deb>"
 failed about a week ago.  Subsequently, every attempt to use the
Synaptic
Package Manager fails on open with the message that follows:

E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.

The Linux Ubuntu Update Manager fails similarly.

Trying to accomplish the VirtualBox installation from scratch, again using
"VirtualBox 1.5.0 for Linux Hosts: Ubuntu 7.04 ("Feisty Fawn")
i386<http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/virtualbox_1.5.0-24069-1_Ubuntu_feisty_i386.deb>"
fails as indicated by the attached screen shots.  Whether I select the
download option "use Debian package manager" or load the package into my
system and then try to open it seems immaterial.

Please let me know how to:

(1) Clean up all vestiges of VirtualBox, or at least enough to avoid its
interfering with the Synaptic Package Manager and Update Manager.

(2) How to accomplish a working installation of VirtualBox.  Presumably this
would be after you believe the original problem repaired.

This message is a copy of one already sent to the VirtualBox owners (
innotek.de)

Best wishes, Henry