Rosegarden

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Sep 12 23:46:54 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Laurent Asorne wrote:
> THis picture shows the sound card I have installed. perhaps you could find
> something in there which could be of importance. I looked at your tutorial
> and found that e.g. the audio device is different. Could that be the source
> of the problem, because my audio device is no EMU10k1 ?

First we need to establish what kind of "sound" you mean.  Are you trying to
play audio files (.wav) or MIDI?  For MIDI, did you run asfxload and load a
soundfont into the card?  Did you turn up the mixer volume?

The mixer on the emu10k1 is a serious bastard to figure out.  I recommend
using QAMix.  This is apparently a real package now, at least on my Ubuntu
Studio based system.

ii  qamix                                         0.0.7e-0ubuntu2
Configurable mixer for ALSA

Look for the "synth" channel, and make sure it's up.

Actually, now that you mention it, I have this card reinstalled.  I took it
out after the "synth" (or maybe it was "music?"  whatever I said in my book)
channel disappeared from the mixer, and I couldn't figure out how to get it
to work again.  I put it back in a couple years later, when I thought my
other soundcard was dying.

I'm playing with it now, and there's no damn "synth" channel under QAMix.

How helpful.

I have no idea why this is, and the soundcard is completely obsolete now
anyway.

Maybe try QSynth.
--
D. Michael McIntyre