Problems with latest Gutsy kernel update

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:35:22 UTC 2007

John DeCarlo said the following on 09/11/2007 03:24 PM:
> Hello,
>
> I don't see anything about this in Google, so I may have something
> different about my setup.  In fact, I suspect that it may be related to
> having encrypted my entire hard drive (except grub and /boot).
>
> Here are some symptoms when I ran aptitude dist-upgrade:
>
> First the error message, then I try to configure by hand until I find
> the root issue.
> ============
> [snip]
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic:
>  linux-image-generic depends on linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic; however:
>   Package linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic is not configured yet.
>  linux-image-generic depends on linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-11-generic;
> however:
>   Package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-11-generic is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing linux-image-generic (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
> linux-restricted-modules-generic:
>  linux-restricted-modules-generic depends on
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-11-generic; however:
>   Package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-11-generic is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing linux-restricted-modules-generic (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic
>  linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-11-generic
>  linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-11-generic
>  linux-image-generic
>  linux-restricted-modules-generic
>
> ============
> # dpkg --configure linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic
> Setting up linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic (2.6.22-11.32) ...
> Running depmod.
> sh: /usr/bin/mkinitramfs: not found
> Failed to create initrd image.
> dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>  linux-image-2.6.22-11-generic
> ============
>
> Now there was also an recent update to initramfs-tools, don't know if
> that is relevant.
>
> Note that /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs exists, but nothing in /usr/bin.  I
> would be surprised if there were supposed to be something in /usr/bin,
> but what do I know?

Most likely you got stuck between partial upload of updates.  For gutsy,
you should be using "aptitude safe-upgrade" to avoid removing needed
packages before the newer update appears in the repository.

FWIW, on my box with encrypted root, the kernel updated ok, but the
nvidia (restricted-modules) package is still missing.  So, I don't think
encryption is your problem.  Go back to your feisty partition and wait a
day for more gutsy updates to reach the repos before using gutsy again.

HTH