Today's Gutsy updates broke my display

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Mon Sep 10 22:47:51 UTC 2007

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2007 14:39:28 Michael Bach (gmx) wrote:
>> 1.) Is the black band already present when you boot (grub-menu if any,
>> boot splash)?
>
> No.  Nor is it visible  on tty3 or tty1 (runlevel 3)  Only with X at every
> resolution.
>
>> 2.) Change the refresh rate in xorg.conf and see what happens.
>
> Please be more specific.

You could boot the system with knoppix or a working ubuntu flavor and
see how the automatic hardware detection configures the refresh rates
(xorg.conf).
Without knoppix/ubuntu, you can safely try a refresh rate of 70Hz. Are
you providng a single value (I assume that would be the 60Hz) or a range?

Else, without changing refresh rates, you can try to switch to the X
frame buffer driver. This will reduce graphics performance, but since
the frame-buffer boot-splash is ok, chances are that X will be ok as well.
The driver is called "vesafb" or only "vesa". Can somebody please
confirm or correct on the driver name?!
If the frame-buffer works, that would show that you're ok with the
refresh rates.

However, what is strange is, that you're saying the band does not appear
on screen-shots. It sounds like as there may be something wrong with the
graphics drivers. Have you gone through the gutsy changelogs to find
anything happened to the graphics-drivers?