Kubuntu causing computer to overheat. (I think)

Ted Frater ted.frater at virgin.net
Thu Sep 6 07:56:21 UTC 2007

David McGlone wrote:

>On Tuesday 04 September 2007 12:30:24 pm Ted Frater wrote:
>

>>David McGlone wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Apologies to the list mod for accidentally sending this to the request
>>>list.
>>>
>>>Forgive me if this is not appropriate for this list.
>>>
>>>Can anyone give me some help here. I am completely stumped. My desktop
>>>computer keeps shutting down when anything too much is done on it. the
>>>system log says it is overheating. But here is where I am completely
>>>stumped kubuntu is reporting my system temperature as -270 C (-454 F)
>>>which in my opinion would be the hardest block of ice on earth and when
>>>it shuts down, the system log says the temp was critical at -264 C. In my
>>>opinion it's still darn frozen.
>>>
>>>I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem. But at -270 C it
>>>sounds like a no brainer.
>>>
>>>My fan comes on shortly while booting but after boot it never comes on
>>>again. I suspect this is because it thinks it's frozen to oblivion so
>>>there is no need to switch the fan on.
>>>
>>>I have checked the kubuntu forums, found some bugs relating to this issue,
>>>but none that came close to my problem. I just can't seem to find a
>>>solution.
>>>
>>>Anyone have any ideas?
>>>

>>As its not much use as it is,
>>why not connect the fan wires to the appropriate voltage line that feeds
>>one of the other items, like cd rom. that has a 5 volt and a 12 v line
>>input.
>> your fan will then run all the time but at least  your pc  will run.
>>Youll need to check the voltage with a meter  it will be either  5 or 12
>>v. also chewck the polarity as its dc.
>> Let us know how you get on.
>>

>Why would I want to destroy a 600.00 computer for a free Kubuntu download?

I hope you are able to resolve your fan problem via software,
 however if you dont youve a dud 600.00 computer anyway.
you might destroy it but I wouldnt suggest anything I wouldnt do myself.
Its not as if your taking the fan/heatsink off the processor.
If your not sure how to do what I wrote, then ask a IT /pc tech to do it
for you.
 Its a 5 min job.