Rosegarden

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Sep 5 00:05:11 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Laurent Asorne wrote:

> I dowloaded the ubuntu studio DVD-image and installed it onto the second
> HDD (sata, the first HDD is an IDE, where i have installed Kubuntu).

Incidentally...  Since this is the Kubuntu list, I assume you'd rather not
have to use GNOME for anything.  If you install "kubuntu-desktop" on top of
Ubuntu Studio, you miss out on all the look and feel stuff they intend, but
you get to run a normal, sensible desktop environment without all that
ghastly gnomish crap everywhere.

That's what I'm running myself.  It started life as the Ubuntu Studio DVD, and
kubuntu-desktop on top of it made it downright usable.

> Ubuntu Studio, I get Rosegarden started without any problem, but it won't
> make a sound.... XMMS works okay, so it's not the sound card.

Now you get to explore the complicated stuff.  Run QJackCtl, get JACK working,
then run QSynth, and configure it to play via JACK.

My book is old, but that part should still be enough to give you a more
detailed explanation of what I just said:

http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/en/chapter-2.html#2

(If it still seems complicated, that's because it is.  "How do I get sound
working" is my albatross.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre