Weeding out duplicate odt/doc files

john d. herron paradox.herron at bluewin.ch
Tue Sep 4 06:21:14 UTC 2007

I have this box equipped with a single 40GB harddrive shared by Win98SE
/ SuSE9.2 / Kubuntu 7.04.
There are two partitions that harbor respectively Kubuntu (hda3 - ext3 -
11GB) and SuSE9.2 (hda5 - ext3 - 13GB).
While the contents of these two partitions differ considerably from one
another, hda5 still contains several hundred text files (some Word docs,
some OO odt's) that are identical with files on hda3.
I'm going to continue working with Kubuntu (my favorite distro) but must
clear the SuSE partition to make room for other stuff.
The idea is to delete any duplicate text/doc versions from hda5 (SuSE)
and move all the non-duplicate ones to hda3 (Kubuntu) before I reformat
hda5.
For good measure I've backed up the /home folders of both distros and
some other items like e.g. Thunderbird profiles.
My question: is there a good way of determining which text/doc files are
identical across the two distros (by filename and modification date, or
by content), short of doing it manually?
Any help will be thankfully appreciated
jdh
kubuntu 7.04 on
i586 w/ 512 MB