installing print drivers

D T drden2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 03:40:30 UTC 2007

Thanks for the reply!
you wrote this part
"or through Synaptic or Adept: search on gutenprint, then install all packages shown I found that virtually everything searched upon was installed by otherpackages (depending on what you have installed on your system, youmight find the same).  When I reinstall Kubuntu, I always search on"print" (no quotes) when using Synaptic and install as a matter ofcourse gimp-print and libgutenprint2 which with CUPS covers most of theproblems I shall find."I tried that and my Adept does not find those packages.  Are they available for Kubuntu?
I do understand that there is going to be a learning curve here.  I appreciate you trying to help me.
I have tried to do what you have said several times, but have failed.  I have no "Synaptic" that I can find anywhere.
I might not have the right stuff, I downloaded the CD from the Ubuntu website, the link at the bottom right "Kubuntu".
I don't know about the additional libraries.  I think that maybe I have made a mistake with this distro, maybe I should try another one.
It seems funny to me but if someone could write a program that can help making the install process easier for beginners.  Than I think there would be a lot more people turning to Linux. I think that maybe some of the real smart Linux people have forgotten how hard it is to learn Linux when you first start.

You wrote:
"Linux is a world of choice, not tied to proprietary standards.  Enjoy!"Choices are good, how about a choice to install a print driver without having to do 6 or 7 completely different steps to do 1 thing.
I don't have the patience.  At this rate with Linux that way it is.  It will take a month just to set it up.  No wonder the manufacturers don't make drivers. They have to install Linux OS to make drivers for it and it just takes too long to make it work.
Thank-you!I'll wait a couple of more years and try Linux again.  Hopefully by then it will work easier.
Thanks again for your help.