networking project

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Mon Sep 3 13:07:15 UTC 2007

Harold Hartley wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> Harold Hartley wrote:
>>> I am running kubuntu with two nic cards.
>>>
>>> First,I have the eth0 running fine with my DSL connection which the
>>> computer is assigned the ip address, not the DSL modem.
>>>
>>> Second, I have a eth1 that connects to a router(WRT54GL).
>>> I am trying to get the router to talk to eth1, but seems like I'm not
>>> doing something right.
>>> Once I get the router talking to eth1 on the computer, then I need to
>>> set it up so it can use the eth0 for the internet.
>>> I do have iptables installed, but can see anything blocking it from working.
>>>
>>> Oh, btw, I have assigned the eth1 with a static ip of 192.168.1.1 and
>>> the router is 192.168.1.3. (The router has wireless for my laptop to use
>>> for my laptop)
>>>
>>> For the life of me, I can't seem to find the problem why it does not
>>> want to work.....
>>>
>>> Harold
>>>
>> Why are you running through the computer?
>>
> Because I am a ham and is setting up a ham gateway for packet radio and
> then plan to run a web server as well plus another project that requires
> a system that receives the inet ip...
>
> Harold

Hi Harold,
here are two suggestions:
As Billie Walsh wrote, the default setup is the modem -> router ->
computer setup. I guess I would go with that (the linksys router is
actually a full computer, so it's all about software and configuration).
What software (firmware) is the router running? The standard linksys
software is maybe too limited for more advanced setups of port
forwarding or packet routing. You can replace the original linksys
firmware by openwrt [1] (I actually run my router with this). Openwrt
can be extended by additional packages. This gives opportunities with
virtually no limits. For easy installtion of an openwrt-webgui, see [2].
With the ips, couldn't a service like dyndns[3] help?

For the modem -> computer -> router solution: Years ago at uni I had a
pc-router, it ran the ipcop firewall distribution [4,5]. That, whenever
necessary, was a snap to install, to configure and to update.

[1] http://openwrt.org/
[2] http://x-wrt.org/
[3] http://www.dyndns.com/
[4] http://www.ipcop.org/
[5] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ipcop

That's pretty much my whole wisdom on this matter. Hope it helps.

Mike