networking project

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at
Mon Sep 3 01:57:50 UTC 2007

Harold Hartley wrote:
> Because I am a ham and is setting up a ham gateway for packet radio and 
> then plan to run a web server as well plus another project that requires 
> a system that receives the inet ip...
> Harold

OK. The reason I asked that silly question is because normally it's 
Modem > Router > Computer, not Modem > Computer > Router.

For a very short time we had two high speed internet services while we 
decided which to keep. I tried to get two nic cards to work at the same 
time. My idea was to have one for uplink and one for downlink. I never 
could get more than one card to function at a time. Course I didn't work 
at it all that hard either. It was more an exercise in silliness than a 
serious effort.

I can't say I know enough about what you got planned to be of much help. 
I've heard of it but never messed with it at all.

One way I can see that might work is to use an internal DSL modem. You 
could then feed the output from the computer to the router to share the 
connection. It would only require one nic. With our broadband card we 
have to run the output from the computer to a switch then to the router. 
Straight from the computer to a router won't work. Something about 
spoofing an address for the router to see. That might be a concern with 
your setup also.

Don't believe them when they tell you you can't share a connection with 
a broadband card.

OK, now you know everything about the subject I know. I wish you well in 
your endeavor.

Billie Walsh
The three best words in the English Language:
Pass them on!

More information about the kubuntu-users mailing list