Edgy/Feisty setup re installs

Neil Winchurst neil at holsdev.vispa.com
Sat Sep 1 15:18:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:41:37 +0200
Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I tried that and got an error message:-
> >
> > unknown mime type for sources.list
>
> Sounds like you tried to edit the file through a gui by double clicking
> it. Best to open it from a command line like so:
> sudo kedit /etc/sources.list
>
> or, just learn vi, sudo vi /etc/sources.list
>
> hth,
> /d

Not at all, I opened a terminal screen and typed in the command there.
I was brought up with DOS so I am used to typing in commands. I have
never had any problems with editing text files before.

I tried your suggestion and got quite a response.

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
Xlib: No protocol specified

kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
Xlib: No protocol specified

kded: cannot connect to X server :0.0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-5601' to 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.

So it didn't like that one bit.

Neil Winchurst