Permission Problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 31 21:23:21 UTC 2007

mickey wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the problem is here on Kubuntu-7.10 ?
> I googled and everybody is having problems with this error message

"Everyone"?  Hardly.

> Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora but nobody has answer for problem
> Can't get write permissions in root using Konqueror.
>
> :~$ sudo konqueror
> [sudo] password for mickey:
> Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Error: "/tmp/kde-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Error: "/tmp/ksocket-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-mickey" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.

If you do "sudo konqueror", you will always get those errors, because you
aren't running with a root environment.  It's perfectly predictable, but
not ime fatal - konqueror still runs.  The same thing will happen if you
try to run any other kde app via sudo.

The simple fix (and correct way to run a KDE app with root privilege) is to
use "kdesu konqueror"
--
derek