Gutsy and Atheros wireless - my experience

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Wed Oct 31 10:11:37 UTC 2007

> I know I am top-posting but I would try WICD (works fine with WPA and x
> number of other methods)
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net

Also your WiFi network adapter should support WPA or WPA2:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=testing

Actually in that table is written, that Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN 802.11g does not support WPA but I
got WPA2 working with Kubuntu 7.04, wicd and Windows version of network adapter driver over
ndiswrapper with this card :) I'm using 60-character passphrase for that network adapter and Linksys
WRT-54GL v1.1 router (chipset is Broadcom 5352, CPU is 200MHz and RAM 16MB) with DD-WRT v2.3 SP2
firmware.

But I can confirm, that wicd just rocks!

Some more reading:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/wiki/
http://wiki.debian.org/WPA
http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/