Gutsy and Atheros wireless - my experience

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Oct 29 18:51:34 UTC 2007

Phil Pinkerton (pcpinkerton at gmail.com) had this to say on 10/29/07 at 10:54:
> On 10/29/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Mike Leone wrote:
> >
> > > I needed to install kwlan;
> >
> > why?

Beacuse network-manager didn't have "WPA" as allowable security for my
wireless. Doing an apt-cache search for WPA brought up wpa_supplicanrt (as I
knew it would, since I've used it before), and also brought up kwlan. So,
since network-manager didn't have everything I needed, I installed kwlan
(which removed network-manager).

> > > that install wanted to dump
> > > network-manager-kde. OK, fine. Since I use WPA-PSK for security, I had
> > > to go find and install that, too (you'd think that would get installed
> > > by default, just so that you'd have the tools to have a secure wireless
> > > set up on your laptop, whether you activate the feature or no. But
> > > whatever.
> >
> > Everything needed is installed with network-manager-kde, so you just
> > turfed
> > that and complain that you don't have what you need...

Nope; see previous paragraph, Network-manager didn't seem to know about WPA.

> > Do the same thing with Network-manager, with the same results, and I'll
> > agree you have a problem with gutsy (and I won't be surprised, either - NM
> > doesn't work for everyone),

And doesn't work for me, since it doesn't have what I need.

> >  but if you start out by throwing away parts of
> > the gutsy install, and then say gutsy doesn't work, you're getting what
> > you deserve.

You can ignore my posts from now on, since all you seem to want to do is
berate. I'll be doing the same, and we'll probably both be happier ...