Gutsy and Atheros wireless - my experience

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 29 13:05:33 GMT 2007

Mike Leone wrote:

> I needed to install kwlan;

why?

> that install wanted to dump
> network-manager-kde. OK, fine. Since I use WPA-PSK for security, I had
> to go find and install that, too (you'd think that would get installed
> by default, just so that you'd have the tools to have a secure wireless
> set up on your laptop, whether you activate the feature or no. But
> whatever.

Everything needed is installed with network-manager-kde, so you just turfed
that and complain that you don't have what you need...

> Over the next 120 minutes, it dropped and reacquired signal 37 times. It
> would disconnect, and then reconnect. Repeatedly.
>
> Again, this is using exact same hardware (system, NIC, router) that
> never once dropped a signal on edgy. Exact same settings, too. Yet it
> got to the point that I was ready to rename the system "yo-yo", because
> it went up and down so often.

OK, that's not nice, but again - since you threw out the network software
that comes as part of kubuntu, you're not in much of a position to
complain.

> My conclusion - gutsy is not ready for me to try and use my Atheros
> card.

Do the same thing with Network-manager, with the same results, and I'll
agree you have a problem with gutsy (and I won't be surprised, either - NM
doesn't work for everyone), but if you start out by throwing away parts of
the gutsy install, and then say gutsy doesn't work, you're getting what you
deserve.
--
derek