Gutsy Kubuntu & iPod 5th Gen

Rick Chagouri-Brindle rcb at digitalanswers.biz
Sun Oct 28 23:20:27 UTC 2007

Since doing a fresh install of Kubuntu 7.10 my 5th gen ipod is not
recognised, whereas it worked perfectly under Feisty 7.04.

The ipod itself seems to think it is attached to something as I get the
"Do Not Disconnect" message flashing up, but nothing is visible/mounted
within the OS, Amarok cannot see anything and manually trying to mount
it does not. I have tested the ipod itself and it works fine under WinXP
and the Kubuntu 7.04 I have on my laptop.  The ipod uses the FAT32 file
system.

Another curious things is that when I have plugged my ipod in (USB), if
I think go into System Settings -> Disk & Filesystems, I cannot see any
of my disks/partitions and only the message "The Module Disk &
Filesystem could not be loaded" is displayed.

I have tested this repeatedly and it seems to confirm - after 25 tests -
that when the ipod is connected (even though it doesn't appear to be
recognised by the system) the message "The Module Disk & Filesystem
could not be loaded" is displayed and when it is not connected, all is ok.

It's a shame really, as I just managed to get a couple of friends to
convert to Linux from XP and now they are ipodless!

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks!