Help with multimedia files needed

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Sat Oct 27 09:52:11 UTC 2007

Ralph De Witt wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 16:19:44 Michael Bach (gmx) wrote:
>> Ralph De Witt wrote:

>>> Karl:
>>> Thanks for help. Have win32codecs installed, have mplayer installed,
>>> installed xine, but still unable to open files. When I click on file and
>>> say open with kmplayer, nothing shows it says mplayer not running. If I
>>> select open with xine no pictures. Any help as to configuration etc? TIA
>> One way to get more information is to start mplayer from the
>> commandline. In a terminal, run this: "mplayer NamOfMediafile.wmf".
>> Else, click on the file and say open with kmplayer, in the kmplayer
>> menu, go to "view" and select "Console", the appearance will change and
>> you will get a few lines of textual information. Check this for any
>> errors, or post it.
>>
>> Mike
> Mike:
> This is what I get selecting a random file and choosing to open with kmplayer.
> Hope this helps some. I am running on a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop.
>
> MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu13 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5600  @ 1.83GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15,
> Stepping: 6)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> Can't init input joystick
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
> Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
>
> Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load:
> avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
> libavformat file format detected.
> [mp3 @ 0x86fdf28]Could not find codec parameters (Audio: mp1, 448 kb/s)
> LAVF_header: av_find_stream_info() failed
>

> Exiting... (End of file)

The errors in the first paragraph (from "MPlayer 2:1 ...." to "Terminal
type ...") don't matter, they refer to possibly missing joystick or
infra-red devices.
The second paragraph reads like there might be actually something wrong
with the sound. It seems that the problem is not caused by a missing
library, rather something is not working properly with the actual
library already on your system(avisynth.dll).

Now, I cannot really help any more in fixing this particular problem.
However, you may:
- Try the VLC mediaplayer, it comes with its own codecs and does not
depend as heavy on a codec collection such as xine or mplayer do.
- Use the medibuntu [1] repository for updates on codecs.
- Assume that maybe something has gone wrong while coding the file you
have. Can you make us the file available or let us now where it comes from.

Mike

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu