Mail Server

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 24 15:58:30 UTC 2007

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 October 2007, David McGlone wrote:
>> Ok a few months ago, I was about to ask the list some questions about a
>> mail server, but some unexpected things came up that I needed to work out
>> the kinks in. Finally I have accomplished that task. Now I'd like to ask
>> the list about setting up a mail server on my desktop that will fetch
>> mail and send it to my laptop and other computers.
>>

> Please define  "send to"
>
>> Does anyone know of any good howto's for kubuntu? And what software would
>> anyone recommend?
>

> The basic pieces you need are  fetchmail, and procmail, and depending on
> the definition of "send to"    postfix.

I hadn't really considered the definition of "sendto" myself.

You probably want postfix (or other mail transfer agent [MTA]), anyway,
because you'll want to send mail _from_ your LAN to elsewhere, but if you'd
rather have everything stored in one location, and pull rather than push
the messages, then fetchmail -> (MDA | MTA) -> dovecot (or other IMAP
server) is really nice.  Usable MDAs (mail delivery agents) include
procmail & maildrop, MTAs, I'd recommend postfix over any other options for
a full-time Internet connected mail server.  If it's not on all the time, I
prefer masqmail.
--
derek