Kubuntu 7.10 live CD problems - and my solution

John Hodge jhodge_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 13:20:10 UTC 2007

Hi
Putting a live Kubuntu 7.10 CD into a Windows pc (AMD64 dual, recent nvidia chipset and graphics), I had two problems....

1 - the live CD got to the X windows stage, but not the complete KDE desktop.

2 - when I took the CD out and tried to reboot - it had boot loader problems, as though you'd taken a Linux install out of a dual boot, and it has grub errors - normally corrected for Windows by fixmbr.

Solution - There were two other harddisks in the system, one of which had a Windows XP install which wasn't active, and another which I think had once had Linux installed onto it (probably U6.06) - but had been wiped, ntfs formatted, but yet may have had some boot loader stuff still on it.  I guessed right - when I took those harddisks out, and then did fixmbr, it was fine. And not only that but that K7.10 Live CD works fine as well.

The question is - Why did a Live CD muck around with boot records - or indeed any part of the compute?

Thanks

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/