Java Speed Test for browser

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 22 13:29:52 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 21 October 2007, Wulfy wrote:
>> 2) I did the test with Konqueror and Firefox
>>
>> Konqueror 3.5.8 = around 3000
>>
>> Firefox 2.0.0.6 = around 1300
>
> Me too, but with older versions.  Konqueror 3.5.6 and Firefox 2.0.0.3
> here, and times of around 3800 and 2200, respectively.
>
> Interesting, but I find this isn't something that would interest me in
> switching to Firefox as my default browser.  I just don't like it that
> much.

Yes.  I do some pretty heavy javascripting, and I _can_ tell Konqueror is
slower, but it generally isn't enough slower to hamper a user interface.
It's like the old joke about two guys being chased by a bear, and one stops
to put on his running shoes.  The other says "why are you wasting time -
you can't outrun a bear", and the first says "I don't have to, I just have
to outrun you!".  In any user interface, you generally don't have to run
really fast, just fast enough not to hamper the user.
--
derek