Compiz slow, no effects (Gutsy with ATI X1400)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 20:40:52 UTC 2007

Alright, after a lot of fighting I've got it to the point where Compiz
starts with XGL, but the system is very unresponsive and the 3D
effects do not work. I do see that the window theme changes when I run
compiz, though.

gutsy at gutsy-laptop:/usr/lib/fglrx$ Checking for Xgl: present.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for Xgl: present.
Starting emerald
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :1.0

Note that I have an ATI X1400, not an nVidia card. What should I do?