Only getting low resolution with new monitor in feisty

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Fri Oct 12 10:48:59 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007, D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> I just installed a better LCD monitor on my wife's system.
>
> I had a similar problem when I switched from a 15" CRT to a 19" LCD.  It would
> only run at 640x480, I think.
>
> I can't remember enough details to give a solution, but I do recall that the
> magic happened when I twiddled something in this section
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>         Option          "DPMS"
>         HorizSync       28-64
>         VertRefresh     43-60
> EndSection
>

> If your settings differ, you might try pasting that snippet above, as it's for
> a 19" monitor at 1280x1024.
>
> (I have no idea how to do anything like this through a GUI, or if it's even
> possible.  Nor, for that matter, am I at all certain what I'm talking about
> is really your problem.)

First approach would probably be to re-run the automatic
X-configuration. I looked that up on google for a problem I had
yesterday. The following command reconfigures X:

sudo pdkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

the -phigh causes to skip possible questions from the package
configuration. If you want to provide more information to the
configuration tool, use -plow instead of -phigh. -p means: priority of
questions to ask.