Crazy question

Adrienne J Davis dreadgeek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 01:48:57 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 12:22:03 am Donn Ingle wrote:
> Yo,
> There may already be, but is there a way to create "universal" links
> to certain directories? I was wondering the other day if I couldn't
> type "cd writing" from any other directory and have it take me to
> ~/projects/writing.
> That would be cool.
> I suppose I could write a script to take a param and cd to it, but I
> was wondering if I was missing something smarter.
>

> \d

Donn:

You could try this:

In your .bashrc do:

alias writing='cd ~/writing'

I use aliases a lot.  For example:

alias docs='cd ~/Documents'
alias music='cd ~/Documents/Music'
alias images='cd ~/Documents/pictures'

You get the idea.

Cheers
Aj

--
Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
(Terry Pratchett)