Crazy question

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Oct 9 08:48:22 UTC 2007

Donn Ingle wrote:
> > Search for CDPATH.
>
> Cool, getting there. I added this to my bash_profile:
> CDPATH=$CDPATH:/home/donn/Projects
> But when I login to a konsole and try to "cd Projects" from (say) / it
> does not find the directory.
> What am I doing stupid :)

The CDPATH is the directory where cd searches for the current parameter.
You should make the obove line

CDPATH=:/home/donn

Please note that there is the empty directory as the first entry. Now if
you are in / and enter "cd Projects" the cd command looks for Projects in
the current directory, that would be /Projects. If that doesn't exist it
will try /home/donn/Projects. Granted, it isn't exactly what you
initially requested, but it is rather close IMHO.

Nils