how to disable kubuntu-default-settings

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 8 20:12:52 UTC 2007

Michael Bach (gmx) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A page that I found a while ago [1] and some recent discussion on
> another thread (first impressions of dolphin) made me actually bring up
> this question:
>
> How to disable kubuntu-default-settings entirely?
>
> Simply removing the package doesn't work because of dependencies.

Sure it does.  The only thing dependent on it is kubuntu-desktop (and
something named ichthux-desktop, but that's definitely non-standard).
kubuntu-desktop is purely a metapackage to force installation of things
exactly like kubuntu-default-settings.

> What is it exactly that this package changes?

It installs some wallpaper, some themes, huge numbers of default config
files and cursors.  None of these should actually make any difference if
you have already used the apps involved.  ie, it doesn't change the configs
under ~/.kde/.

For the actual changes it tries to make to things you _might_ notice,
see /var/lib/dpkg/info/kubuntu-default-settings.postinst.  It certainly
seems to me that it will only make those changes if you've not changed the
defaults in the first place.
--
derek